A suspected contact of the Berlin attacker has been set free in Germany as investigations continue into possible accomplices.
No charges were brought against the 40-year-old Tunisian man, who was arrested in Berlin on Wednesday, a spokesperson for federal prosecutors said.
Officials previously announced the man’s number had been found on Anis Amri’s phone, showing he “could have been involved in the attack”. But a spokesperson said no link was established and the man has been released.
“Further investigations determined that the man who was provisionally detained isn’t this possible contact person of Anis Amri, so he had to be released from custody,” Frauke Köhler said.
Amri, a 24-year-old Tunisian man, fled the scene of the attack on 19 November and was shot dead by Italian police days later in Milan.
Ms Köhler said the gun he used to fire at officers was of the same calibre as the weapon used to kill a lorry driver as he hijacked his vehicle.
Investigations have also confirmed a video of Amri pledging allegiance to ISIS that was released by the group following his death to be authentic.
Amri killed 12 people and injured more than 50 more when he ploughed the lorry into a busy Christmas market.
The vehicle’s automatic braking system prevented more deaths by forcibly bringing it to a stop, prosecutors said.
The hijacker fled the scene and was later identified as Amri, whose wallet, identification, phone and fingerprints were found at the crime scene.
Minutes before the attack, he reportedly sent a selfie from the cab along with a message reading: “My brother, all is well, according to God’s will. I am now in a car, pray for me my brother, pray for me.”
“Brother” is frequently used to address other Muslims, rather than exclusively relatives, and investigators are still working to establish who received the messages.